Tuesday 18 August 2009

Budapest London Edinburgh the journey 14 15 16 August

The best part was the night coach from London to Edinburgh. I sat next to someone who didn’t talk much, covered his eyes and had a high tech neck pillow (while mine kept deflating somewhat). He borrowed my phone to check his emails cos he forgot to take down a phone number. I don’t remember saying good bye and have fun in Edinburgh to him although I should have. But Hungarians just don’t know how to be properly polite.

The Budapest London part was one experience though. There was a guy who was bragging about having his own business in the North of England and there were women with converging stories. All have divorced, one twice. These 3 women were between the ages of 55 and 76. They weren’t talking to me about this, but to each other. One has recently found true love. She said she had known that man but on a New Year’s Eve as she was getting up from the couch felt an extraordinary sense of peace. That was love. They’re getting married next month.

Then there was a woman who had a very famous first husband (I’m not naming names, but personally haven’t heard of him before) with who she still keeps in touch and who was ill, chronically but not fatally. Her second husband was travelling with her, but she said he was a bully and she was glad to have divorced him.

I can’t remember the life story of the third woman as she was the listener really, so never said much.

I sat next to a Pakistani lady (age 37) who was travelling with her second husband and her young son. She has an older son from her first marriage, he lives in Pakistan as she lost custody of him as a result of the divorce. She invited me for dinner, but I had to decline as we were late in London. I only had to wait a couple of hours (instead of 5) for the Edinburgh night coach and I never left Victoria Coach Station, I was glad I could sit down putting my feet up on my mighty samsonite.

Part 2 will follow.

note to self: how is it that I still can’t distinguish between Canadian and some soft American accents?

No comments:

Post a Comment