Sunday 23 August 2009

Food I like in Edinburgh - a short list

Most of these are available everywhere in the United Kingdom but not in Budapest.

First, I witnessed the freshly squeezed/pressed fruit juice revolution (yes, I've been here that long), from the spotting of the occasional Innocent "water" in Peckham's and other delis to today's explosion of fruit only drinks. I drink these diluted, half and half. My favourite is red grape juice followed by the 2:1 mix of pineapple and orange, which is a morning essential.

I grew to burgers, too in Edinburgh. Not the chip shop variety, but the well barbecued smoky succulent types. I have a favourite kebab shop on Forrest Road. Their burger I could eat every day. Scrap that. It did happen before that I ate there most of the week. They top it with plenty salad and some tomato sauce. I only order chips with it when I'm extremely hungry.

Lemon yoghurt. I would miss that too.

And that's about it. I've never lost my preference for Hungarian food and that's what I cook mixed with Italian. Occasionally Mexican. But I do not do Sunday roast, haggis (yeah, haggis, yes, once a year, you know when), gammon steak, poached salmon or Sheperd's Pie. Or steak and ale pie. I don't cook vegetables, I simmer them with some butter and a little water and add seasoning. Nevertheless, I owe a lot of great culinary experiences to Edinburgh. South Indian, Nepalese, Pakistani, French flavours (I love cassoulet) are easy to have access to. Unlike in Budapest.

No comments:

Post a Comment